www.flickr.com

Monday, March 8, 2010

Walking on the dock by the bay.....












Saturday I went for a walk along the waterfront with my husband Gary. My friend Katja (a fabulous painter) and Shawn (a fabulous photographer, etc.) told me about a hospital ship that was on dry dock near The Ramp Restaurant. By the way, if you live in San Francisco or are visiting, The Ramp is a fabulous place to have lunch or brunch on the weekends. Good food and fun and funky atmosphere sitting out on the deck on the bay. Okay, enough advertising. Anyway, I had to go see this ship for myself. Well, the ship was incredible to look at but so were the cloud formations and all the other ships, boats docked at the waterfront. We walked along passing some great broken down piers, private clubs, Mission Rock and were heading towards AT&T Park. So many new buildings are up now. Lots of condos, some office buildings with what appear to be FAB views of the bay. All I could say to Gary was how safe are these when I assume they're built on landfill? I was in San Francisco in 1989 in the same house I currently live in. We are built on bedrock. I was at home when the 6.9 earthquake hit. It was a jarring shake but there was no damage to our home. Land fill or sandy land is NOT FOR ME. I don't get why people would want to live there. Well, its near the ballpark so your last moments are close to your most precious sport????? Great location with a TO-DIE-FOR view??? Sorry, got off on a few tangents here. Anyway, we ended up at Mission Creek very near the ballpark. There are a few houseboats docked along here with views of a new San Francisco skyline. Its new to me because I never get out that way. All of those buildings have been built since the 1989 earthquake. It looks like an entirely new city around there and by the ballpark. My husband used to work with a lot of graphic artists, musicians around there because rent was cheap. Not cheap anymore! The creek always had houseboats but the story of Mission Creek is that the City used to dump raw sewage into the creek. Whenever you would pass by, the smell was overpowering!! Hence, the name "Shit Creek" was born. That Mission Bay and Mission Creek is now such a chi chi environment with gardens, walking paths and views is hysterical. To some of us, it will always be Shit Creek!! Don't you just love a little San Francisco history with your morning coffee?

No comments:

Post a Comment