www.flickr.com

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

HIPSTA -VERA'S - new work for Dia de los Muertos 2010

Started working on a new Dia de los Muertos series in August called HIPSTA - VERA. The idea was to interpret contemporary culture with the classic image of Dia de los Muertos calaveras or skeletons. Rather than create the traditional calaveras like Jose Guadalupe Posada - http://www.inside-mexico.com/posada.htm - I wanted to use the culture of todays urban hipsters to use as the imagery for Day of the Dead. The name HIPSTA - VERA seemed like the perfect made up word or neologism (fancy speak for a new word or phrase) for a new type of calavera.

My finished and almost finished work is below. I hope to be adding at least two more HIPSTA - VERAS this month. Dia de los Muertos, Open Studios and 3 Dia de los Muertos artist's fairs will be happening next month. I'm a little nervous about keeping up with all of that but I have no choice but to go with it. Day of the Dead is one of my biggest seasons. I am a Latina artist who identifies deeply with this holiday and my artwork reflects this. SO...DEAL WITH IT! I'm speaking to myself.

So there you have it on this Tuesday, September 14th at 1:52pm.

Gee...its almost 2:00 and I'm still online. Got to get ready to go to the studio!!!

Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment