www.flickr.com

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Adjust - : to adapt or conform oneself (as to new conditions)

Adjust - : to adapt or conform oneself (as to new conditions)
subtitle: My work is available for shows and readily available for sale

Took a whirlwind trip to L.A. over the MLK weekend. Visited family (and particularly the Fusco side of the family) and had a great time. We drove down in a rented 12 seat van. We collected my mother in San Jose, and from San Francisco came my husband, daughter, son and his wife with my grand kids Leo and Isabelle. All of our luggage plus baby stuff for Isabelle (she's only 6 months) was packed into the van. It was hysterical. We stayed with my sister in L.A. and brother-in-law J.D. I'd compare the experience to an urban camping trip. It was a memorable event with lots of fun thrown in.

Since my return, I developed a horrific cold. In my post hospitalization state, I am still considered immunosuppressed,  So, colds can lead to pneumonia, etc. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!. I just have to be careful, rest and not push myself until the symptoms clear.

Part of my post hospitalization treatment for Leukemia involves taking multiple meds: Chemo, anti-viral and others.There are a total of six different types I take at various times of the week. One type, Methotrexate, is taken one day a week for a total of 16 pills. Fortunately the pills are small! Another drug, a Sulpha drug, I take twice a day on the weekend. The other four pills I take every day. WOW...THAT'S A LOT OF PILLS!!! I've experienced minimal side effects but primarily  experience fatigue.

So, I haven't been into the studio for 11 days. The temperature in the building these days is closer to a refrigerator. No heat of course other than our space heaters. Its slightly (only slightly) funny when you see fellow artists walking around in full layered attire: multiple shirts, sweaters, jackets, leggings under jeans, jackets, scarves, hats, gloves. Yes, that's working in the winter months.

Let me just say I miss my studio time terribly. Since my discharge from the hospital, all I've wanted to do is paint. My jewelry making, gift making is still happening but its my painting that I long for. With eleven days out of the studio, I started to have my "failure dreams."  I dream I'm either in high school, college or performing on stage. I either haven't done my homework, studied for my finals or rehearsed my lines or dance. I'm a complete failure!! Anxiety. My anxiety of not being in the studio is showing up in my dreams!

So, I'm adjusting.  This is all new territory. How do I fit my health issues into my life? How do I  adjust to living with blood cancer, Leukemia, now in remission? The answer is I don't know. I'm figuring it out as I go along. The one thing I'm clear on is in order to maintain my health, I have to take care of myself. That involves trying to stay healthy, eat well, try to exercise and learn to let go of those stressful situations that always took their toll. They are totally not worth my time or energy!

Webster defines the word adjust as:  to adapt or conform oneself (as to new conditions). Yes, indeed. That is my life.

I am still creating, I am still promoting. My work is available for shows and readily available for sale all! I am simply adjusting to my new, renewed life.

Martha
January 22. 2012



p.s. I feel like the woman in this photo.






No comments:

Post a Comment